Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Hammer Time: Fantastic Four #536


If I had a hammer...well, actually, I do have a few hammers. I don't do much of anything with them. They mostly just sit in the shed and rust. Every once in a while, I get one out, smash my thumb with it, and remind myself why I am not really much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy. But, if I had THOR'S hammer, the mighty Mjolnir, umm, I probably couldn't even pick it up. I guess I'm just not a hammer kind of guy. There are those, however; that enjoy a well-crafted tool...

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that Thor's hammer falls to earth in Fantastic Four #536. There's a really big picture of it on the cover afterall. In case you didn't know: Thor, Loki, and all the other Asgardians, vanished into the ether some time back. Ragnarok happened, the time of the Norse Gods was over, and that was all she wrote for Asgard. It makes sense that Mjolnir would be the one artifact of the Asgardian civilization to survive. That hammer has been through some tough situations, and always ended up in one piece.

Of course, those sneaky buggers in the government try to keep Mjolnir for themselves, but word gets out. That hammer is one hot addition for the toolbox that has everything, and a lot of people would like to get their hands on it. Including a certain Latverian dictator, with an army of robotic duplicates of his own noble self at his disposal. Is Doom back from the dead? And just what would Doom do if HE had a hammer? Don't you want to find out?

This issue, by the regular FF team of J. Michael Straczynski and Mike McKone, is a great comic on its own merits, but it also ties into some major Marvel Universe events. It's part of Marvel's "Road to Civil War" build-up, it gives Thor fans hope that the godly one could be up for some sort of return, and it has the Doom-tastic return of Doctor Doom! (Or at least a reasonable facsimile. Doom does copy himself quite a bit.)

Fantastic Four #536 has a great story, great art, and will clearly be a pivotal issue for some serious future events! Plus, Reed Richards eats a sandwich. This is definitely an issue to pick up while you can. Head over to Four Color Fantasies today, and try it out risk-free! Maybe it will inspire you to get out your own hammer and build a spice rack! Or smash a villainous troll in the face. Whatever works for you.

No comments: